Commitment to being carbon neutral
Total Media Group Ltd. is committed to being carbon neutral, and we have already achieved this three years ahead of our target.
Baseline & Current Emissions Footprint
Baseline Year: 2022
Scope 1: 0 emissions (direct emissions)
Scope 2: 0 emissions (electricity)
Scope 3: 58.1 emissions (waste disposal, business travel, employee commuting and homeworking)
Emissions reduction targets
We became carbon neutral three years ahead of our 2025 target, offsetting any of our remaining carbon through offsetting scheme Gold Standard. As an agency we continue to monitor, reduce and offset our carbon emissions to maintain our carbon neutrality.
Carbon Reduction Projects
We are currently B Corp accredited. Our ambitions and goals are in-line with the IPA’s climate change charter and the ad associations net zero commitment. In the short-term we have used offsetting scheme, Gold Standard, established by WWF, which supports hundreds of ethical projects and effective solutions to offset our carbon footprint.
A few more practical actions our B Corp team have initiated in the last 12 months include:
- Moving our websites to green servers
- Setting new reduction targets for waste and regularly tracking our energy usage
- Made vegetarian the default food choice for internal lunches
- Switched to organic milk and recycled kitchen products such as kitchen roll
- Recycled our used coffee beans through a B Corp accredited company called First Mile
- Audited all processes to reduce paper usage
- Restricting aircon access to avoid energy wastage
- Providing eco friendly sanitary products through B Corp Natracare
- Changed to a green stationery company where all stationery is recycled
- Reduced mandatory office days to reduce our carbon footprint
- Signed up to the Government’s carbon neutral plan
- Offsetting the carbon of business flights, through 80% carbon offsetting projects and 20% sustainable aviation fuels (SAF) as an alternative to fossil fuels
- Using behavioural science to change societal norms in the office such as changing ‘general waste’ signs to read ‘landfill’ to better highlight where the waste will end up
- Sharing employee quizzes which along with other actions resulted in improving our recycling rate from 62% to 76%
All of which helped to reduce our Scope 3 emissions. Through Gold Standard, we are able to give our people the option to pick how we offset our carbon. In 2021 this included providing clean water access to families in Laos though social enterprise, Terraclear, as well as supporting a renewable energy project in Brazil that alleviates deforestation, avoids greenhouse gas emissions and promotes a more sustainable supply chain whilst providing income to local communities and improved working conditions. In 2022 we offset our remaining emissions through the Mozambique Safe Water Project.
Declaration and Sign Off
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been completed in accordance with PPN 06/21 and associated guidance and reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans.
Emissions have been reported and recorded in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the GHG Reporting Protocol corporate standard and uses the appropriate Government emission conversion factors for greenhouse gas company reporting.
Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions have been reported in accordance with SECR requirements, and the required subset of Scope 3 emissions have been reported in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the Corporate Value Chain (Scope 3) Standard.
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been reviewed and signed off by the board of directors.
Pedro Martins, Chief Growth Officer
Total Media Group Ltd